Our groomers take pride in their work. Recognized as some of the best in the business, they work through the night and early morning hours to perform their magic - creating a fresh carpet of powdery corduroy for our guests; or building awesome hits in our terrain parks. Ski Butternut's groomers know how to create perfection on our slopes, transforming what seemed like a skied-off run at 3:30 on a busy holiday weekends into a meticulously groomed, silky smooth carpet of CORDUROY covering the slopes the next morning.
There are 6 key elements necessary for productive, energy efficient, quality snowmaking:
Cold Temperatures - ideally 16 degrees Fahrenheit or lower. But give the team a few hour window with anything below 28 degrees and we can start making snow. It's just not as efficient at 28 as it is at 16.
- Low Humidity
- Electricity - Lots of electricity - the power company loves us,
- Compressed Air - again more electricity needed * see below Water & Pumps - which are needed to push the water up the mountain - again more electricity needed - see an expensive equation developing here!
- Snow Guns - the equipment that combines the ingredients; water and compressed air, to form snow crystals
- A Knowledgeable & Talented Snowmaking Staff - Our guys are dedicated and have years of experience.
- Lots of Water - we have a few lakes that hold millions of gallons of water for snowmaking